Disclaimer: While every effort has been made to ensure accuracy in this publication, the contents of this document are subject to amendment without prior notice. War Studies reserves the right to deviate from what appears in this document, in whole or in part.
Video Conference courses (VC) / Distance Learning courses (DL)
- Video conference courses (VC) are offered in a synchronous seminar format with students attending classes on site at RMC or CFC Toronto via video link from their locations.
- Distance learning (DL) courses are offered asynchronously via distributed readings and written interaction (blogs and posts)
- The same course is offered at the PhD level by registering in WS 6XX, instead of WS 5XX.
Note: the course codes starting with ÉGxxx are offered in French.
Summer 2018 / Fall - Winter 2018 / Fall 2017 / Winter 2018
Summer 2018 (1cr)
|WS529 - Directed Readings (Child Soldiers) (DL)||TBC||Asynchronous||22 May - 10 Aug 2018|
Fall - Winter 2018 (2cr)
|WS500 Theories of War (DL)||Asynchronous||11 Sept - 6 April 2018|
|ÉG500 Les théories de la guerre depuis le 18è siècle (VC)||Prof R. Legault||Thurs. 14:30-16:30hrs &
Sun. 19:00- 20:00hrs / Cavalry House
|11 Sept - 6 April 2018|
|WS530 Psychological Factors in Warfare and Human Conflicts (VC )||Prof B. St John||Mon. 13:00-16:00hrs / Cavalry House||11 Sept - 6 April 2018|
|ÉG534 Religion et guerre (VC)||Prof A. Dizboni||Mon. & Thurs. 18:00-19:30hrs / Cavalry House||11 Sept - 6 April 2018|
|WS552 Leadership (DL)||Prof C. Magee||Asynchronous||11 Sept - 6 April 2018|
|WS582 The Profession of Arms (DL)||Prof P. Kasurak||Tues. 16:00-19:00hrs||11 Sept - 6 April 2018|
|WS588 Second World War (VC)||Prof D. Delaney||Tues. 19:00-22:00hrs / Cavalry House||11 Sept - 6 April 2018|
Fall 2017 (1cr)
|ÉG527 L' Éthique du militaire (VC)||Prof D. Lagace Roy||Wed. 13:00-16:00hrs / Cavalry House||11 Sept - 1 Dec 2017|
|ÉG546 Analyse comparative des conflits sécessionnistes (VC)||Prof P. Jolicoeur||Wed. 10:00-13:00hrs / Cavalry House||11 Sept - 1 Dec 2017|
|WS519 Studies of Genocide (VC)||Prof B. Falk||Wed. 18:00-21:00hrs / CFC Toronto||11 Sept - 1 Dec 2017|
|WS529 Directed Studies (DL)||Prof R. Wakelam||
|11 Sept - 1 Dec 2017|
|WS533 Studies in American Defence Policy (VC)||Prof J. Sokolsky||Tues. 09:00-12:00hrs / Cavalry House||11 Sept - 1 Dec 2017|
|WS607 Methodology (VC)||Prof J. Boulden||
Tues. 16:30-19:00hrs / Cavalry House
|11 Sept - 1 Dec 2017|
Winter 2018 (1cr)
|ÉG509 Évolution et théorie du maintien de la paix à l' échelle internationale (VC)||Prof. M. Deleuze||Wed. 18:00-21:00hrs / Cavalry House||8 Jan - 6 Apr 2018|
|ÉG548 Politique étrangère et sécurité de la Russie (VC)||Prof P. Jolicoeur||Wed. 11:30-14:30hrs / Cavalry House||8 Jan - 6 Apr 2018|
|ÉG553 L' Art du témoignage et l' expérience de la guerre (VC)||Prof S. Bélanger||Tues 09:00-12:00hrs / Cavalry House||8 Jan - 6 Apr 2018|
|WS531 American Foreign and Defence Policy: 1776 to the Present (VC)||Prof J. Sokolsky||Tues. 13:00 - 16:00 hrs / Cavalry House||8 Jan - 6 Apr 2018|
|WS549 Aerospace Law and Policy (VC)||Prof G. Phillips||Mon 18:00 - 21:00 hrs / Cavalry House||8 Jan - 6 Apr 2018|
|WS599 Canadian Airpower (DL)||Prof A. English||
|8 Jan - 6 Apr 2018|
Students undertaking the programme onsite in Kingston are reminded that RMC and Queens have a memorandum of understanding which allows RMC students to take courses at Queen’s University and vice-versa. Queen’s graduate courses thematically appropriate to War Studies include:
- HIST 876 Canada at War (2 cr)
- An exploration of war in a Canadian context, with an emphasis on how war has shaped Canadian society and the relationship between Canada and its armed forces. Topics to be studied, from a Canadian perspective, include the military as a profession, military culture, combat stress, leadership, gender and sexuality in the military, and mutinies.
- POLS-861 International Security (1 cr)
- This course will focus on foreign policy analysis and international security, with a focus on alliances, defence cooperation, and issues affecting national and international peace and security.