Major Tanya Grodzinski graduated from McMaster University with a degree in political science. Since joining the Canadian Forces in 1983, she has held several appointments with her regiment, Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians), and various staff positions in Winnipeg, Halifax and Kingston, working mainly in coordinating military assistance to other government departments and in doctrinal development. Major Grodzinski was also the Managing Editor of The Army Doctrine and Training Bulletin (now the Canadian Army Journal) for six years. In 2002, Major Grodzinski completed a Masters of Arts in War Studies at RMC and her thesis on the War of 1812 on the Upper St Lawrence River was nominated for the Governor General's Gold Medal for Academic Excellence. In 2010, Major Grodzinski completed a doctorate in the RMC War Studies programme. Her dissertation examined the leadership of Lieutenant-General Sir George Prevost, the commander-in-chief of British North America during the War of 1812. Since June 2004, Major Grodzinski has taught history at The Royal Military College of Canada, including undergraduate courses in Canadian Military History, Canadian History, Military History and Strategic Thought, North American Colonial Warfare and Naval Warfare in the Age of Sail and the Age of Steam, and graduate courses in naval and amphibious warfare. Major Grodzinski regularly conducts battlefield tours for RMC, field force units, the Canadian Forces College and other CF units, dealing with the Seven Years' War, the American War of Independence and the War of 1812.
In January 2018, Major Grodzinski was appointed Chair of the Military and Strategic Studies Programme.
- Ready, Aye Ready! A History of The Royal Canadian Regiment, 1946-2001 (forthcoming 2019)
- Author, ‘American Independence is Not Threatened: British Priorities in the War of 1812,’ in Donald R. Hickey and Connie D. Clark, eds, The Routledge Handbook of the War of 1812 (Routledge, 2016), pp. 15-35
- Author. Defender of Canada: Sir George Prevost and the War of 1812 (University of Oklahoma Press, 2013)
- Author. The 104th (New Brunswick) Regiment of Foot in the War of 1812 (Goose Lane, 2014)
- Editor. The War of 1812: An Annotated Bibliography (Routledge, 2007).