The RMC Chaplain Team offers spiritual, religious and pastoral care to all CAF members and their immediate family, who are posted to, attending, or working at RMC and MPG/CDA.
We are an experienced, collaborative, multi-faith team of military Chaplains
- Senior Chaplain: Padre (Maj) Maria-Cristina Codina
- Cell: 613-539-1463
- (613) 541-6000 ext: 6204
- Room: 207, Yeo Hall
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Padre (Capt) Beatrice Gale
- Cell: 613-329-3368
- (613) 541-6000 ext: 4094
- Room: 301 Yeo Hall
- Email: email@example.com
- Padre (Capt) Serap Bulsen
- Cell: 613-217-2301
- (613) 541-6000 ext: 6284
- Room: 304 Yeo Hall
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Padre Ellie Clitheroe
- Cell : 613-985-0133
- (613) 541-6000 ext: 6018
- Room: 207 Yeo Hall
Outside working hours, to reach the Duty chaplain, please contact the Duty Officer at 613-483-3024 and ask to speak with the Duty chaplain.
What does a Chaplain do?
- Provide a Ministry of Presence (being with members in their work place)
- Provide religious services and facilitate the worship of all.
- Provide Pastoral care and counselling
- Advise on Religious, Spiritual, Ethical and Morale issues
- Provide education in regard to Spiritual Resilience
- Manage and train Sentinels
What types of problems can a Chaplain help with?
- Grief or bereavement
- Illness (of self or loved one)
- Family problems
- Suicidal thoughts
- Help in decision-making
- Life Transitions
- Spiritual questions
- A safe place to talk
Who can visit a Chaplain?
- Any CAF member and their immediate family members.
- DND Employees may also make use of Chaplain Services, but usually as a means to access specific Civilian Resources.
- Leaders, at all levels, have a duty to make the services of a Chaplain available to persons in their command.
Where does the Chaplain fit in the Chain of Command?
- Chaplains do not hold Command Authority and are not in a CAF member’s Chain of Command. This allows for members and their family to have candid conversations that are confidential in nature and would only be shared with the Chain of Command as per the guidelines below.
- The RMC Senior Chaplain is a Senior / Direct Advisor to the Commandant and Commanding Officers at RMC and MPG / CDA.
- For administrative purposes, the RMC Chaplains are under the authority of the Chief of Staff (COS) / Corporate Wing.
- The Chaplain has access to all members, from the Commandant to the Private Soldier, and may also act as a liaison with other Helping professionals.
- Chaplains advise the Commandant and others in the Chain of Command on spiritual, religious, and ethical matters. They also provide advice in regard to issues that adversely affect morale within the College.
- On any issue, such as compassionate leave, a chaplain makes recommendations, while it is the Chain of Command that makes the final decision and/or authorization.
How can I meet with a Chaplain?
For an appointment, make a request through your Chain of Command, speak with a Chaplain directly, or contact our Administrative Assistant. Your chain of command must be aware of your whereabouts; however, it is up to you how much you share with the Chain of Command regarding the reason you wish to meet with a Chaplain.
- If you request a Chaplain's assistance with a personal issue (Compassionate, interpersonal, etc) the Chaplain will usually need to confirm the details of your situation before advocating on your behalf with the Chain of Command.
- The chaplain will request your permission to engage the appropriate people, whether that is another Helping Professional, your Chain of Command or other agency, in order to assist you in your request. Without that permission the Chaplain, and as a result the Chain of Command, are limited in their ability to assist you with your request.
Emergency Chaplain Services
- During working hours chaplains can be contacted through the listed office numbers or by email.
- For non-duty time periods i.e. after-hours and weekends, a Duty Chaplain is always available.
- In order to access the RMC Duty Chaplain contact the Officer of the Day, at ext 8351 or 613-453-5007, and ask that the RMC Duty Chaplain contact you. Be prepared to provide a contact number.
- Chaplains do not remain on campus after hours and will contact you within 30 minutes of being advised by the Officer of the Day of your request.
If you are experiencing a life threatening emergency: Call 911.
Specific Religious Services at RMC
- The three Chaplains currently at RMC (Jun 2019) are two Protestant Ministers (Evangelical), and a Muslim Imam. These three Chaplains provide a variety of religious services within their traditions, i.e. Friday Juma Prayers, Communion and Sunday services and the like. As well, there are other faith groups which meet under the auspices of the RMC Chaplaincy, such as our Indigenous members who meet weekly for a Smudge Ceremony.
- Baptisms, weddings, penance and other sacraments, such as First Communion and Confirmation, as well as other Rites are available by appointment through the Chaplains’ Office at RMC. If the Chaplain Team at RMC is unable to personally provide these services, the Team will facilitate and assist you in connecting with the applicable faith group or organization that can best meet your Spiritual needs.
- College wide emails are sent regularly providing specific details on the Religious service offered at RMC.
- All are welcome to attend any of the Religious / Spiritual Services offered at RMC.