Mathieu Gagnon Ph.D, Assistant professor in the Military Psychology and Leadership Department.
I hold a PhD in experimental psychology from the University of Ottawa. My research focuses on how emotional facial expressions and their impact on people’s cognition and behaviors.
I have taught in both official languages, at the undergraduate and graduate levels and with groups ranging from 10 to 300 students. I have also taught different topics including Introduction to psychology (fundamentals and applied), Motivation and emotion, Social psychology, Cognition and learning, History of psychology, Psychology of the family, Sensation and perception, Language Development, Persuasion and influence and Organizational behavior.
Sample of Publications and Conference Presentations
- Gagnon, M. (2019). Vocal Sounds Associated to Different Pathogen Threats. 29th Meeting of the Canadian Society for Brain Behaviour and Cognitive Science, Waterloo, Ontario.
- Gagnon, M., DeFrance, K., & Nicol, A. (2019). Examining the Infrahumanization Account Using Theoretically-Relevant Emotional Categories. Interdisciplinary Conference in Psychology, Ottawa, Ontario.
- Gagnon, M., Cherif, L., & Bettaieb, L. (2019). The impact of social information on judgements of smile authenticity [Title translated from french]. 41th Annual Meeting of the Société Québécoise pour la recherche en psychologie, Mont-Tremblant, Québec.
- Gagnon, M. (2018). Inference of Cognitive Appraisals from vocal sounds [Title translated from French]. 40th Annual Meeting of the Société Québécoise pour la recherche en psychologie, Québec, Québec.
- Cherif, L., Gagnon, M., Audet, E., Brisebois-Vouligny, H., Fritz-Nemeth de Friedenlieb, R.,Lagrenade, C., & Paquette, A. (2018). The Effect of Priming on Judgements of smiles [Title translated from french]. 40th Annual Meeting of the Société Québécoise pour la recherche en psychologie, Québec, Québec.
- Rowe, S., Gallant, A., Gagnon, M., & Roy-Charland, A. (2018). Is Moral Disgust Expressed the Same Way as Physical Disgust? [Title translated from french] 40th Annual Meeting of the Société Québécoise pour la recherche en psychologie, Québec, Québec.
- Gagnon, M., Cormier, S. (2018). Retrieval Practice and Distributed Practice: The Case of French Canadian Students. Canadian Journal of School Psychology, doi: 10.1177/0829573518773225
- Gagnon, M. (2017). Do Duchenne smiles lead to greater prosocial outcomes? 27th Meeting of the Canadian Society for Brain Behaviour and Cognitive Science, Regina, Saskatchewan.
- Gagnon, M. (2017). Inferring cognitive appraisals from facial expressions. 27th Meeting of the Canadian Society for Brain Behaviour and Cognitive Science, Regina, Saskatchewan.
- Gagnon, M. & Cormier, S. (2016). Gender differences in self-regulated learning among French-Canadian college students. 77th Annual Meeting of the Canadian Psychological Association, Victoria, British Columbia.
- Gagnon, M., Gosselin, P., & Maasarani, R. (2014). Children’s ability to recognize emotions from partial and complete facial expressions. The Journal of Genetic Psychology, 175 (5), 416-430.
- Gosselin, P., Maasaranni, R., Montembeault, P., & Gagnon, M. (2014). French-speaking children’s freely produced labels for facial expressions. Frontiers in Psychology, 5:555. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2014.00555.
- Gagnon, M., Gosselin, P., Hudon-Ven der Buhs, I., Larocque, K., & Milliard, K. (2010). Children's recognition and discrimination of fear and disgust facial expressions. Journal of Nonverbal Behavior, 34(1), 27-42.
- Perron, M., Gosselin, P., Gagnon, M., Beaupré, M., Jomphe, M., & Doucet, M. (2009). The understanding of emotion dissimulation in school-aged children. Advances in Psychology Research: Volume 59. A.M. Columbus, Hauppauge, N.Y., Nova Science Publishers, 141-156.