Department of Civil Engineering
Royal Military College of Canada
13 General Crerar
Kingston, Ontario, Canada, K7K 7B4
Professor Emeritus of Civil Engineering, Royal Military College of Canada, Kingston, Ontario
Adjunct Professor of Civil Engineering, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario.
Editor, New Materials in Construction, Progress in Structural Engineering and Materials, John Wiley & Sons.
Originally from Montréal, Dr. Erki received her Ph.D. from the University of Toronto. After three years on faculty at Carleton University, she joined the Royal Military College of Canada (RMC) in Kingston in 1989; by 1995 she was Full Professor and Head of Civil Engineering. Dr. Erki has authored or co-authored more than 100 papers in refereed journals, conference proceedings, and research monographs. Dr. Erki's current research is applicable to both the Canadian Forces and a wide range of Canadian and international NGOs, who have an intense interest in cross-country mobility in settings where infrastructure may have been badly damaged by conflict or natural disaster. The ability to deliver humanitarian aid so as to maintain order and civil society in settings of natural disaster is hugely dependent upon timely restoration of mobility and access. Her main research topics are the development of innovative fibre reinforced polymer (FRP) structures for bridges and large span structures and the preservation of heritage structures using FRP strengthening and monitoring techniques.
- The development of innovative FRP structural forms that are material adaptive for the superstructure of short and medium span pedestrian and vehicular bridges, assembly area roofs and canopies
- The optimization of complementary FRP technologies and connections used for FRP structures.
- Strengthening heritage masonry and wood structures using FRP.
Honours and Awards
- Mirko Roš Gold Medal for pioneering work on FRPs for civil engineering structures, Empa - a Research Institute of the ETH Domain, Zurich Switzerland, (2008)
- Fellow of the International Institute for FRP in Construction (2004)
- Fellow of the International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering (2004)
- Fellow of the Canadian Society for Civil Engineering (2004)
- Best Applied Research Paper for 2000, Construction Institute/ASCE Journal of Composites for Construction.
Professional Activities and Positions in Professional Societies
- Organising and International Scientific Committees, CSHM-3 2010 International Workshop on Conservation of Heritage Structures Using FRM and SHM, Ottawa- Gatineau, Canada, 11-13 August 2010
- Co-chair, Sixth International Conference on Advanced Composite Materials in Bridges and Structures (ACMBS-VI), Kingston, ON, 2012.
- Appraisal Consultant for the Ontario Council on Graduate Studies for the MASc/MEng/PhD program in Civil Engineering and the proposed MEng program in Civil Engineering - Infrastructure Systems at the University of Waterloo, July 2008.
- Evaluator of the Master's Degree Program in Civil Engineering at l'Université de Sherbrooke, Apr 2007.
- Member of Technical Subcommittee #16 Advanced Composites, Canadian Highway Bridge Design Code, Canadian Standards Association.
- Scientific Committee, FRPRCS-9 (9th International Symposium on Fiber Reinforced Polymer Reinforcement for Concrete Structures), Sydney, Australia, 13-15 July 2009
- Scientific Committee of the Fifth International Conference on Advanced Composite Materials in Bridges and Structures (ACMBS-V), Winnipeg, MB, Sep 08.
- International Scientific Committee, FRPRCS-8 (8th International Symposium on Fiber Reinforced Polymer Reinforcement for Concrete Structures), University of Patras, Greece, 16-18 July 2007.
- International Advisory Committee, CICE 2006 Third International Conference on FRP Composites in Civil Engineering, Miami, Florida, 13-15 December 2006.
- International Advisory Committee, CICE 2004 Second International Conference on FRP Composites in Civil Engineering, Adelaide, Australia, 8 - 10 December 2004.
- Member of Visiting Committee (Expert member) - Centre de recherche sur les infrastructures en beton, 21 Jan 05, Fonds de recherche sur la nature et les technologies, Quebec.
- Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, Member of the Leipholz Medal Selection Committee of the Engineering Mechanics and Materials (EMM) Division
Selected Technical Publications
- Pillai, S.U., Kirk, D.W., & Erki, M.A. 2009. Reinforced Concrete Design, 4th ed., McGraw Hill Ryerson Ltd. 648 pp.
- Mufti, A.A. Bakht, B., Banthia, B., Benmokrane, B., Desgagné, G., Eden, R., Erki, M.A., Karbhari, V., Kroman, J., Lai, D., Machida, A., Neale, K., Tadros, G., Täljsten, B. 2007. New CHBDC Design Provisions for Fibre Reinforced Structures, Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, Vol 34 No 3, pp. 267-283.
- Wight, R.G., Erki, M.A., Shyu, C.T., Tanovic, R., Heffernan, P.J. Development of an FRP Short Span Deployable Bridge. 2006. ASCE Bridge Journal, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 489-498.
- R.G. Wight, M.A. Erki and R. El-Hacha, 2004. Prestressed and Non-Prestressed CFRP Sheet Strengthening Damaged Continuous Reinforced Concrete Beams (Invited Paper). International Journal of Material and Product Technology, Vol. 19, No. 1/2, pp. 96-107.
- Heffernan, P.J., Erki, M.A., and DuQuesnay, D. 2004. Stress Re-distributions in a Cyclically Loaded Reinforced Concrete Beam. American Concrete Institute Structural Journal, Vol. 101 No. 2, pp. 261-268.
- Heffernan, P.J. and Erki, M.A. 2004. Fatigue Behaviour of Reinforced Concrete Beams Strengthened with CFRP Laminates. ASCE Journal of Composites for Construction, Vol. 8 No. 2, pp. 132-140.
- Wight, R.G., Erki, M.A. 2003. Prestressed CFRP Sheets for Strengthening Concrete Slabs in Fatigue. Advances in Structural Engineering (Invited Paper), Vol 6 No 3, pp. 175-182.
- Bizindavyi, L., Neale, K.W., and Erki, M.A. 2003. Experimental Investigation of Bonded FRP-Concrete Joints Under Cyclic Loading. ASCE Journal of Composites for Construction, Vol 7, No 2, pp. 127-134.
- Wight, R.G., Erki, M.A., and Heffernan, P.J. 2002. Canadian Federal Interest in FRP for Structures (Invited Paper). Structural Engineering International, Vol 12 No 2, pp. 99-101.
- Nicol-Smith, C., Brudermann, F.G.E., Erki, M.A., Foschi, R.O., Jones, E.D., & Maheu, J. 2001. Wood Structures. Canadian Highway Bridge Design Code, CAN/CSA-S6-00, pp. 381-417.
- Bakht, B., Al-Bazi, G., Banthia, N., Cheung, M., Erki, M.A., Faoro, M., Machida, A., Mufti, A., Neale, K., & Tadros, G. 2001. Fibre-reinforced Structures. Canadian Highway Bridge Design Code CAN/CSA-S6-00, pp. 689-705.
- White, T.W., Soudki, K.A., and Erki, M.A. 2001. Response of RC Beams Strengthened with CFRP Laminates and Subjected to a High Rate of Loading. ASCE Journal of Composites for Construction, Vol 5, No 3, pp. 153-162
- Wight, R.G., Green, M.F., and Erki, M.A. 2001. Prestressed FRP Sheets for Post-strengthening Reinforced Concrete Beams. ASCE Journal of Composites for Construction, Vol 5, No 4, pp. 214-220.
- Bakht, B., Al-Bazi, G., Banthia, N., Erki, M.A., Faoro, M. Machida, A., Mufti, A.A., Neale, K.W., and Tadros, G. 2000. Canadian Highway Bridge Design Code Provisions for Fibre Reinforced Structures. ASCE JCC, Vol 4 No 1, pp. 3-15. Winner of the Year 2000 Best Applied Research Paper.
- Bakht, B., Erki, M.A. and Alvi, M. 2007. "The Wind Knocks and Other Poems". Selected poems of Mohammad Alvi in English translation from the Urdu, Sahitya Akademi, New Delhi, 197 pp.
- Bakht, B. and Erki, M.A. 2003. "Under the Whirlpool". Ghazal couplets of Jamiluddin Aali. Translations from Urdu. Pakistan Writer's Co-operative Society, Karachi. 200 pp.
- Bakht, B. and Erki, M.A. 1999. "Never Mind Your Chains". Ghazal couplets of Majrooh Sultanpuri. Translations from Urdu. Rupa and Company, New Delhi. 194 pp.
- Bakht, B. and Erki, M.A. 1997. "Destination After Destination". Ghazal and doha couplets of Jamiluddin Aali. Translations from Urdu. Pakistan Writer's Co-operative Society, Karachi. 230 pp.